CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Animated

"What in God's name am I looking at?"-Fan's reaction

I wasn't really a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer when it was first airing. During the first season most of the characters seemed lack personality and the overall arc of the story seemed a tad cliche. I lost interest after that, despite the praise it earned in its later seasons. Having recently discovered Angel, the far superior spin-off series, I feel I may have passed judgement too early. That is why this article caught my eye earlier.

The premise behind this new series perplexed me at first. Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer both contained fairly mature subject matter, so I'm unsure who the target audience is. The animation looks heavily stylized, so it seems to be geared toward a younger audience. It seems to take place during the early days of Joss Whedon's fictional universe, the way the characters talk and react definitely feels like season one of Buffy. The unaired pilot isn't much to go on, but the show looks like it could be fun. The animation is charming without being too kiddy and the voice actors sound close enough to the characters for fans to be pleased. There is currently no word on which network the series may eventually air on. Early looks are promising, let's hope the show doesn't die here.

0 comments: